Sunday, July 18, 2010

Hachi, A Dog's Tale.

Yesterday I purchased the movie, Hachi. It stars Richard Gere and Joan Allen, and some of the most amazing Akita dogs I've ever seen, and I've owned Akita's for over twenty years. I adore the loyal, intelligent, and very regal breed.

The movie is based on a true story about a Japanese Professor from the University of Tokyo and his Akita dog, Hachiko. Hachiko would turn up at the train station at the same time every day waiting to greet his master. When the Professor passed away at the University, from a cerebral brain hemorrhage, the dog continued to wait every day at the same time, for his master to return home. He did this for nine years. A statue was erected at the Shibuya train station and still exists today.

The setting for the American remake of Hachiko's story is a small town (filming was done in Rhode Island) where Professor Parker Wilson finds a puppy wandering around the train station late one evening. He takes it home but his wife doesn't want a dog. While Parker tries to find the owner, or someone who will adopt the pup, both dog and man bond. Hachi becomes Parker's loyal companion and a friendship of family and loyalty spans many years and touches the hearts of a whole town.

I label this a five hankie movie, but maybe I was relating the story to my own pooch who is fast approaching eleven wonderful years of age, and it won't upset you. But I doubt it, so grab a box of tissues, then sit back and let your heart melt. I swear you'll fall in love.

No comments: