Thursday, November 11, 2010

I double double did it.

Yesterday, I mailed not one but two entries to the Golden Heart contest. Yay!

Both submissions are entered in the same category. Strange, at least when there were other categories to choose from. Right? Well, see here is my thinking, I like both stories and for once in my life I'm certain that the sub-genre of romance is correct for both. So. Bottom line. I'm competing with myself.

But is that wrong?

I don't think it's wrong, because the readers (the contest judges) will all come to the stories with different understandings of what makes a story ready for publication. Based upon their numbered scores, I'll know what is working and what isn't. Kind of, because there are no comments to guide the entrant. I've been entering this contest long enough to know how to recognize what the scores mean. While my growth as a writer has been strong and steady, it wasn't until last year that I made it into the top tier. This year I'm hoping to final. I've said it, I've put it out there to the universe. Oh, the power. ; )

Anyway I'm thrilled with my efforts. I polished. I prepared like I was running a little factory in my house. The printer worked so hard: six partials of each manuscript, six synopses of each story, two full manuscripts on CD, two packages stuffed to the gills. It's a wonder my poor printer didn't explode. And after I mailed them early yesterday morning, I came home and was totally lost. There was nothing to do. It was such a weird feeling. I've decided to take a couple of days off and clear my head, then I'll start back in on Mick's story, which was put on hold at about a third of the way in so I could polish my GH entries.

Life is good.

No comments: